Friday, October 2, 2015

Travel Doctor

I'll be in Africa in just over a month. Today I saw my primary doctor who is also a travel doctor. We reviewed the CDC guidelines and made some choices about vaccines and meds for my trip. I decided to go for lifetime protection against Hep A. So I got one shot today and I return in 6 months for the 2nd dose. I also opted for an oral vaccine for protection against Typhoid. I'm going to start that in 2 weeks. It's refrigerated and is taken every other day for a number of days. I'll be protected against Typhoid for 5 years. Next up, malaria protection. I won't start taking those pills until 2 days before I enter a malaria area (Kruger) and will take them during my safari as well as after. We discussed over the counter drugs that I should bring on the trip (Pepto!) and she gave me a back-up scrip of Cipro. Lastly, we talked insect repellant. I have avoided spraying my house for anything since my cancer diagnosis. Now, I'm like "bring on the DEET lol! I do not want malaria! If you are wondering, I was told to get Ultrathon at either REI or Amazon. As I seem to be very inviting to mosquitos, I'm going to look into insect protective clothing and a mosquito net to sleep in. Better safe than sorry!

No comments:

Post a Comment